Interested in Becoming a Landlord?
Benefits of Becoming a landlord
- Free advertising of your available rental properties
- Free annual inspections of your unit
- You may use your own lease in accordance with state and local laws
- Direct Deposit rental payments directly from HATC
- Steady monthly rental payments
- Greater pool of potential renters
Property Owner Obligations
- Screen all applicants for suitability as tenants
- Collect application fees, deposits, and the tenant’s monthly portion of the rent
- Comply with landlord/tenant and Fair Housing laws
- Comply with the terms of the lease with the tenant
- Comply with the terms of the HAP Contract and tenancy addendum
- Notify the Housing Authority if family vacates the unit and return any housing assistance payment after the family has vacated the unit
- Make timely repairs to the property
- Permit inspections
- Notify the Housing Authority of any owner change immediately to ensure timely payment to appropriate owners
Inspection Process/ Inspection Checklist
Direct Deposit Forms
As a landlord, it is important for you to understand and implement fair housing to all families. You may find more information about housing and discrimination on HUD’s website under Fair Housing.
HATC is committed to providing services to accommodate the needs of persons with disabilities, including information on the availability of accessible units. If landlords have accessible rental units, they should consider listing their units with the HATC and Go Section 8.Visit Website.
Need information about your legal rights? The Austin Tenant’s Council website offers information on many topics related to your rights and obligations. Visit Website
For additional questions, contact Director of Voucher Programs and Homeless Initiatives at 512-854-1883.