Landlords are able to submit their listing on for free. Tenants will be provided a listing upon receiving a voucher to move.

You must do your own tenant screening and test for suitability.

The Housing Authority of Travis County (HATC) received 34 Emergency Housing Vouchers (EHV) from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for issuance effective July 1, 2021.  Eligible populations include low-income families who meet one of the following definitions of homelessness:
    • Homeless
    • At risk of being homelessness
    • Fleeing, or attempting to flee, domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, stalking, or human trafficking
    • Recently homeless and for whom providing rental assistance will prevent the family’s homelessness or having high risk of housing instability
If you execute a lease with an EHV program participant, you will receive $500 upon lease up and HAP contract execution. This is a one-time lease up incentive. If the lease is renewed for a second year, HATC will provide an additional one-time payment of $500 for retention. For more information, contact Housing Manager Victoria Perez via email at

The HATC has Payment Standards by bedroom size that are guidelines for determining the maximum subsidy we can pay for a family. The Payment Standard is generally 100% of the current Fair Market Rates for Travis County. However, each unit is evaluated by the Inspector on a case-by-case basis. Each unit’s rent must be reasonable and comparable to unassisted private market rental units of similar size, location, amenities, quality, unit type, maintenance, utilities and services.

Landlords may request a rent increase once per year following the first year of tenancy. Rent increase requests must be received by the HATC not later than 60 days prior to the tenant’s anniversary date. The rent increase request must be signed by the tenant.

All tenants are responsible for their own Security Deposit pursuant to State and local laws.

Once you have identified an acceptable HCV/ Section 8 Participant, complete the Request for Tenancy Approval form & package that the tenant provides. Once those documents are received in our office, a Housing Inspector will contact you to schedule an inspection of the unit. The lease may begin once the inspection is completed with a “passed” status.

The Housing Inspector will be checking to see whether the unit is in compliance with Housing Quality Standards (HQS). These are minimum standards that any unit rented under the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program must meet.

You are free to use your own lease. However, HUD regulations require that the HUD Tenancy Addendum be attached to an owner provided lease. If the owner’s lease contradicts anything in the HUD Tenancy Addendum, the HUD addendum shall prevail.

After we have executed the Lease and Housing Assistance Payments Contract and the owner has provided the HATC with proof of legal ownership, the contract is processed for payment. Generally, the first check takes approximately two weeks to 30 days. After the first payment is generated, subsequent checks are sent on the first of each month but no later than the 5th.

Each tenant is assigned a Housing Specialist. The Housing Specialist handles any matters concerning the family’s income or household composition and payments.

Yes. The HATC must inspect all participant units annually. This is generally done near the contract anniversary date. In addition, in the case of an emergency or complaint by the owner or tenant, a special inspection will be conducted.

No. Only the HATC can cancel the Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) Contract. An owner is free to terminate a lease agreement pursuant to the terms of the lease and applicable local law. Once the Lease agreement ends, the HAP Contract terminates automatically. The owner is free to initiate eviction proceedings should be necessary. However, you must notify HATC immediately of any eviction proceedings.

The initial lease term is for one year. After the initial term, the lease continues on a month-to-month basis indefinitely so long as HUD continues to provide the appropriations needed to fund the HCV/ Section 8 Program and the family wishes to continue residency. You may choose to sign another year lease with the tenant or continue with the terms of the initial lease.

The owner must contact the Housing Authority prior to the sale of the property and provide the name and address of new property owner. The new owner must submit a written request for reassignment of the HAP Contract, along with proof of change of ownership.

Comments are closed.

Close Search Window