DEPARTMENT: Executive Office
REPORTS TO: CEO & Executive Director / Executive Vice President
TYPE OF RECRUITMENT: OPEN
Under general supervision of the CEO & Executive Director / Executive Vice President, this highly responsible position will provide a broad range of high level human resources and executive management functions for the Housing Authority of Travis County (HATC) and its affiliates, HATC Foundation (HATCF), and the Strategic Housing Finance Corporation (SHFC). All activities must support HATC, HATC Foundation, and SHFC mission, strategic goals, and objectives. The incumbent is responsible for providing support in the functional areas of recruitment, benefits administration, records management, payroll processing, orientation, training and development, employee relations, including performance assessment, and employee investigations. Responsibilities are confidential, requiring advanced communication and management skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The position duties and responsibilities listed below describe the general nature and scope of work. Other responsibilities, duties, and skills may be required and assigned, as needed.
- Administers various Human Resources plans and procedures for all HATC personnel; assists in developing and implementing personnel policies and procedures; and prepares and maintains HATC Employee Handbook (to be developed).
- Participates in developing and implementing department goals, objectives, and systems.
- Works with supervisors to address performance concerns, including draft and /or review of Performance Improvement Plans, review and provide input for performance appraisals, and coach supervisors on giving performance feedback.
- Coordinates the administration of the HATC compensation program. Monitors performance evaluation program and revises as necessary.
- Works as a business partner to assist various functional areas with involvement in all facets of employee relations, including proactive employee relations initiatives, coaching, facilitation, conflict resolution, and effective communication.
- Objectively and thoroughly conducts formal and informal investigations relating to employee misconduct and recommends disciplinary actions. Prepare detailed and factual reports in response to employee relations compliance issues and investigations promptly.
- Coaches and counsels' managers and supervisors in human resources management and employment-related issues to implement organizational objectives and minimize liability.
- Assists in the development of training material for a variety of HR topics, including but not limited to; Performance Management, Labor Law Compliance, Sexual Harassment Prevention, Interviewing, and Leadership Skills; reviews practices and procedures for legal compliance; provides input and recommendations for process and/or policy changes.
- Coordinates benefits administration, including resolving claims, performing change reporting, approving invoices for payment, and communicating benefit information to employees.
- Develops and maintains affirmative action program; files EEO-1 report annually; and maintains other records, reports, and logs to conform to local, state, and federal EEO regulations.
- Oversees recruitment efforts for all exempt and non-exempt personnel, students, and temporary employees; conducts new-employee orientations; and monitors career path programs.
- Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars.
- Assists in evaluating reports, decisions, and results of department in relation to established goals. Recommends new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in the efficiency of department and services performed.
- Maintains compliance with federal and state regulations concerning employment.
- Develops thorough knowledge of system operations and capabilities to process routine and non-routine conditions, actions, and corrections; utilizes data for desired results; oversees the maintenance of HATC's Personnel records.
- Evaluates and enhances HATC’s Personnel Records management system to optimize, automate and improve the user experience.
- Leads or coordinates special projects and/or interagency initiatives as assigned.
- Assumes the role and responsibilities of the CEO/Executive Director in his/her absence.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal human resources and employment regulations, laws, and practices.
- Knowledge of a wide range of position classification concepts, principles, and practices sufficient to establish and manage organizational structures that are efficient and cost-effective while supporting desired grade levels and facilitate career development.
- Experience identifying problems, reviewing related information, developing, and evaluating options, and implementing solutions.
- Knowledge of the purposes, policies, and regulations of the HATC as established by the Board of Commissioners; knowledge of HATC personnel policies and procedures.
- Extensive knowledge of recruitment, benefits, compensation, employee relations, and training administration principles.
- Knowledge of the major functions of compensation administration, including the principles and practices of position classification, job evaluation, performance evaluation, and compensation/salary administration. Demonstrated knowledge of compensation-related quantitative concepts.
- Knowledge of Equal Employment Opportunity Laws, Fair Labor Standards Act, Civil Rights Act of 1964, ERISA, and employment practices and procedures.
- Extensive knowledge of health care and retirement benefit plans, eligibility requirements, cost enrollment, billing procedures, and benefits administration.
- Knowledge of personnel law, with an in-depth understanding of the laws governing the areas of employee benefits, compensation, and wage issues, including applicable federal and state laws and regulations governing the provision of company benefits (i.e., Texas County District Retirement System and other pension plans, 457 plans, COBRA, ERISA).
- Knowledge of Federal and State Labor laws, insurance practices and procedures, and Worker's Compensation State Law.
- Knowledge of general office procedures and practices, business English and arithmetic.
- Skill in analyzing, comparing, and evaluating compensation and benefit plans.
- Skill in data organization, implementation, and efficient use of Human Resource Information Systems.
- Skill in effective verbal and written communication to prepare and conduct presentations, training seminars, and workshops.
- Skilled with personal productivity software, including word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Skilled in operating computer equipment and general office machines such as a personal computer, copiers, projection equipment, audio/video, and adding device.
- Skilled in interviewing and talent evaluation required.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, vendors, consultants, contractors, residents, HUD, and local, state, and federal officials and communicate with people from a broad range of socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Ability to understand, act on, and interpret policies, regulations, and procedures set forth by the Housing Authority and/or HUD.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and courteous relationships with other employees and other business contacts.
- Ability to coordinate several concurrent activities simultaneously.
- Possess above average analytical and reasoning abilities.
- Knowledge of the Housing Authority of Travis County programs, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of HUD regulations, policies, procedures, goals, objectives, operational entities, requirements, and activities as they apply to the Housing Authority of Travis County.
- Knowledge of strategic planning and execution.
- Skilled in conflict resolution.
- Skilled in oral and written communication.
- Ability to establish lasting relationships and substantive dialogue that create valuable intervention opportunities for the Executive Office and facilitate access to critical information within and outside the Executive Office.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to lead effectively and mentor others.
- Ability to communicate effectively with and relate to people of different cultures, demonstrating an ability to see issues from other perspectives.
- Ability to work independently and assume assigned responsibilities.
- Ability to reads, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals that are generally error-free.
- Ability to effectively present information both orally and in writing and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to learn and utilize advanced Microsoft Excel functions.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to multi-task, manage time effectively, and establish priorities.
This position requires the incumbent to exhibit the following behavioral skills:
Job Knowledge: Exhibits requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the position effectively. Demonstrates knowledge of policies, procedures, goals, and objectives, operational entities, requirement, and activities as they apply to the assigned organizational entity of HATC and its affiliates, HATC Foundation, and SHFC. Uses appropriate judgment & decision making in accordance with level of responsibility.
Commitment: Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and works hard/smart to achieve them; strives for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and brings issues to closure; persists despite obstacles and opposition.
Customer Service: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; identifies, understands, monitors, and measures the needs of both internal and external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind. Recognizes work colleagues as customers.
Effective Communication: Ensures important information is passed to those who need to know; conveys necessary information clearly and effectively orally or in writing. Demonstrates attention to, and conveys understanding of, the comments and questions of others; listens effectively.
Initiative: Proactively seeks solutions to resolve unexpected challenges. Actively assists others without formal/informal direction. Possesses the capacity to learn and actively seeks developmental feedback. Applies feedback for continued growth by mastering concepts needed to perform work.
Responsiveness and Accountability: Demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness; holds oneself personally responsible for one’s own work; does fair share of work.
Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Knowledge of HUD, federal, state, and local laws and regulations, as well as HATC, HATC Foundation, and SHFC policies and procedures related to the position.
- Knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
- Knowledge of report preparation techniques and procedures and a demonstrated ability to prepare professional and technical reports, board resolutions, and other documents.
- Ability to accurately and rapidly compose effective correspondence, meeting minutes, and other documents.
- Ability to understand, act on, and interpret policies, regulations, and procedures as set forth by the HATC, HATC Foundation and SHFC.
- Ability to assist in planning, promoting, and evaluating HATC, HATC Foundation, and SHFC’s goals, objectives, agency plans, etc., as they relate to the executive office.
- Knowledge of human resource practices, procedures, and terminology, i.e. job analysis, organizational development, equal employment practices, personnel policy development and administration, and state and federal employment law.
- Skills in effectively communicating with all levels of employees and explain organizational policies, procedures, and initiatives.
- Skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, vendors, consultants, contractors, residents, HUD, and local, state, and federal officials’ ability to communicate with people from a broad range of socio-economic backgrounds.
EDUCATION AND/OR EPXERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree in public business, management, human resources, psychology, or related field and a minimum of three (3) years of experience serving in a management role. Experience providing human resources support preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Must possess a valid driver’s license and be insurable under HATC ’s plan.
To perform this job successfully, the employee should have a strong computer skills (e.g., MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook). Must have the ability to learn other computer software programs as required by assigned tasks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To perform this job successfully, the employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position. Daily movements include sitting; standing; reaching and grasping; operating computers and other office equipment; moving about the office; and attending onsite and offsite meetings. The employee must be able to exchange information in person, in writing, and via telephone. The employee must occasionally transport up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions: Office environment. The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
- Strong writing skills (May be asked to provide a writing sample)
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign® CS6
- Familiarity with Acrobat® X Pro
- Previous Board Meeting preparation experience
- Ability to express ideas effectively, orally and in writing
- Previous Housing Authority experience
EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION AND EMPLOYEE BENEFITS
- Employer-paid medical insurance premium starting after a 30-day wait period. Coverage will include dental and vision care for the employee only. Dependents or spouses may be added to the Plan coverage at the sole cost to the employee.
- $60 monthly cell phone allowance.
- Employer-paid Employee Assistance Program (EAP) via Deer Oaks.
- Texas County & District Retirement System (TCDRS) Retirement Plan: employee contributes 4% of the base salary, and the employer provides a match of 2.5 times. The employee is vested at 5 years of service. Eligibility for the employee retirement plan starts on date of hire. TCDRS offers Prior Service Credit for the proportionate time with other approved State Plans.
- $15,000.00 life insurance policy that covers the employee only via The Hartford. Additionally, short term disability, long term disability, and accidental death & dismemberment coverage is also offered to the employee via The Hartford.
- Mutual of America 457 Plan available at the sole cost to the employee.
- AFLAC benefits plans available at the sole cost to the employee.
- Gold’s Gym Corporate membership available: agency will pay ½ of the month membership dues for the employee.
- HATC allows accrual of sick and vacation leave at a rate of 8 hours per month for each. In addition, HATC allows 32 hours of personal time off (PTO) that must be exhausted prior to December 31 of each year, or it is forfeited.
- HATC generally follows the same holiday schedule as the Travis County Government.