Governing Board

Agendas - Minutes

Requests for Proposals

How to Get Housing




Public Housing

Section 8

Shelter + Care

Disaster Housing

Alexander Oaks

Eastern Oaks

Summit Oaks

Carson Creek

Manor Town Seniors

Cambridge Villa Seniors

Cityview at the Park Seniors

Southpark Apartments

Homes For Sale

Manor Brochure

Referral Information

Home Ownership Links

Austin, TX

Travis County, TX

State of Texas

Other Housing Related

Funding Information


How to Get Housing with the
Housing Authority of Travis County, Texas

Currently waiting lists for our HUD assisted programs are full, therefore neither program is accepting applications at this time. When applications open again, there will be announcements in local papers and at local social service agencies. You may call to inquire about the waiting list status at 512-480-8245.

Both the conventional public housing and the housing voucher programs fill vacancies from separate waiting lists of applicants.

  • The length of wait for each list varies with the program, date and time of the application, size of housing unit qualified for and whether or not the family qualifies for any targeted local housing need criteria. The Housing Authority cannot predict how long any individual or family might stay on the waiting list due to the number of factors involved.

  • Applications for each program's waiting list are accepted only during open enrollment periods. The open enrollment periods are subject to availability but are always announced in the public notices sections of area newspapers as well as publicized through area public assistance programs.

Following are some important things you must do and important information you may need to know while you are on the waiting list for housing with HATC:

  • If you have a change of address, you must submit an address update in writing.

  • If you cannot be contacted at the last address submitted, the housing authority will withdraw your application from the wait list. You would then need to reapply during the next open enrollment period to get back on the waiting list.

  • If you want to add a person(s) to your application, you must submit, in writing, the person's name, their date of birth, social security number, and their relationship to you.

  • You will periodically be contacted to update your status, often in the form of an interview.

You must respond to this request to remain on the waiting list.

If HATC does not receive a response to the request for a status update, your name will be withdrawn from the waiting list. Again, you would then need to reapply during the next open enrollment period to get back on the waiting list for housing.

The purpose of the update interview is to review all your information and determine if you still qualify for the housing program for which you have applied. You will need to bring the following items to the interview:

  1. Birth certificates for all members of your household.
  2. Social security cards for everyone in the household.
  3. Picture IDs for everyone 16 years of age and older.
  4. Check stubs for each employed member of your household. Proof of income for each member of your household who has income. Printouts from TWC for each member of your household who is 18 years of age or older who is not employed
  5. Letter from the Department of Human Services if you receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) stating total amount you are receiving.
  6. Proof of any child support you may be receiving, or proof from the Attorney General's Office if you are supposed to be receiving child support but do not actually receive the ordered support.
  7. Proof of income from the social security office if anyone in the household receives social security benefits.
  8. Bank statement(s) if you have a savings and/or checking account.
  9. After the interview, we will determine if you qualify for the housing program for which you have applied. You will be informed of the outcome of this determination. If you no longer qualify, we will send you a letter stating the reason(s) you do not qualify. You may appeal this decision.

How to appeal:

If you decide to appeal, you must submit, in writing, your appeal for an informal hearing within 10 days after the date of the rejection letter. If you do not request an appeal by an informal hearing within that time, the decision will be final and you will not be able to apply for the same program for at least 12 months. If you request an appeal hearing, we will send you a letter notifying you of your appointment with a hearing officer. You will receive your appointment letter within 2 to 3 weeks of your timely request.

If you miss your scheduled hearing the decision will be final.

The waiting lists for both the Conventional Public Housing and the Choice Voucher Housing Assistance Programs are maintained separately. You may apply for each program only when that program is accepting applications.

Each program's waiting list is maintained in accordance with all federal guidelines for that program without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, familial status, or disability.